Is your Christmas tree harming your dog?

How your Christmas tree could be harming your dog.

Christmas is almost here.

So, for many, that means the outdoors has come in, and there is a colourful tree in your living room.

At TruGreen, we’re all for festive foliage.

The greener, the better, we always say!

However, we also want to avoid any harm to your furry friends.

So our experts have been looking into ways this festive fixture could harm man’s best friend.

Here are some potential dangers to be aware of.


Real Christmas Trees

The branches of real trees aren’t toxic when chewed on by dogs, but they can give them an irritated mouth and upset stomach.

The needles, on the other hand, can cause severe damage to your dog’s insides if ingested, including punctures and blockages in their digestive system.

If your tree is stood in the water, your dog might also be tempted to take a drink and can be made ill from the chemicals, fertilisers, and potentially even bacteria that have developed in it.

Moreover, if pine needles have fallen onto the floor, they can get stuck in their paws and eyes and cause discomfort.

So, investing in a real tree with a low-rate needle drop like the Nordman Fir or even an artificial tree could be an idea to protect your pet.

Hold on, on that subject…


Artificial Christmas Trees

Artificial tree branches are free of the harmful oils in real ones.

However, they are still made of damaging materials and plastics indigestible to dogs.

This is also the case for many plastic-based decorations, which you should aim to place higher up on your tree – out of reach of your canine.

For more ideas on dog-proofing your tree, check out these tips from Rover.com.


Other Festive Foliage

Adorning your home with bunches of holly can make it appear straight out of a Christmas card.

But, it can also make your dog very sick if ingested.

The same goes for mistletoe, which is also poisonous to dogs, so be sure to keep it up high and out of reach.

If you are worried your dog might have bitten either of these plants, take them to the vet.

Early symptoms they might exhibit include vomiting, diarrhoea and lethargy (and confusion and other strange behaviour in the case of mistletoe).


Contact Us

If you’d like to benefit from years of expert industry knowledge to achieve a picture-perfect green lawn, contact our experts by calling us on 0800 021 3074 or finding your nearest TruGreen business here.