As part of our Environmental Awareness Week, we’ve put together a list of some of the benefits of having a real lawn:
- They take in carbon dioxide from the air and produce oxygen – You might not think of a lawn as an oxygen-rich plant, but grass plant photosynthesises just like any other. A 250m² area of lawn can actually produce enough oxygen to sustain a family of four for a whole day!
- They stay cool – During higher temperatures, real grass can stay a lot cooler as the average lawn produces around 300 miles worth of roots! The grass blades also protect the topsoil against erosion from wind and rain and prevent the runoff of water and possible flooding.
- They are more hygienic – The growing and respiratory aspects of the plant, along with regular mowing, actually make the plant self-cleaning.
- They allow for more activity – The smoother feel of real grass means that it is less abrasive on the skin than artificial turf, making it a better fit for a wider range of activities like sunbathing.
- They have other health benefits – A real lawn will promote healthier wildlife in your garden for other plants, insects, or even animal life. Research has also found that spending time in a natural green space can help improve your overall mood and reduce stress.
They may be more work overall to maintain, but all of these things make real grass the sound choice. Not just for the environment, but also for you, your family, and the world at large.
And if the work of caring for a real lawn feels like too much, we offer a variety of services that can help you on your way to having the lush, natural, green lawn that you’ve always dreamed of. You can find out more about our services here or get in touch with our experts by calling 0800 021 3074 or by finding your nearest branch here.
Written by Tom Page